Saturday, February 28, 2009

Reality Check . . .Bright Lipstick

So one of my comments asked if I would REALLY wear blood orange lipstick (thanks, JAY) - which ties in nicely to an email I got recently from another reader:

"Dear Pretty, I recently read an article from the ever so famous, bobbi brown , who stated NO woman should ever wear a bright red lipstick. I am a brunette older woman and when I do wear bright lipstick…I just feel happy…I know it sounds a bit silly, but if I am going to ordinary places, such as the grocery or the post office, I often do not spend time looking at myself before I leave the house and often times… I look a fright. However, when I quickly swipe the bright paint on my lips…I look more finished, feel healthy and look presentable to the general public… According to ms brown… the brightness detracts from the prettiness of the rest of the face and doesn’t brighten the look … but really detracts from the beauty and make s the woman look worse. I feel softer, quieter,calmer…..when I wear a lighter color… but just not as happy… help???"

So the question - To Wear or Not to Wear Bright Lipstick

Here are my simple thoughts: Wear what makes you feel beautiful, no matter what anyone says, even if it is Bobbi. If you like it bright, ROCK IT.

Here are my more complex thoughts: I get what Bobbi is going for with this idea. When someone wears bright lipstick, it does draw attention to the lipstick and not the lips or the rest of the face. But I believe makeup can serve two functions in a woman's life - as a subtle enhancer that is there to highlight anything but itself OR as an accessory that is a statement in a woman's overall look, pulling it all together.

I tend to be more of a natural girl myself, but I'm starting to really appreciate the value of makeup as an accessory. Lipstick or eyeliner CAN be the focus of a look if you you have the balls (so to speak), so if bright's your thing, go for it. If you prefer a trendy bag, I get that too. So to answer the first question - Yes, I would actually wear the Blood Orange Lips, but probably to a club and with a simple outfit, I haven't quite worked up the Glam Girl Guts to rock it on your average Saturday.

What do you think? Go bright or go natural - discuss amongst yourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I always feel like if I am going to wear bold makeup then the rest of my appearance (hair, outfit) must be really pulled together. If I'm out in a tshirt and jeans I'm going natural makeup so people won't think "who's the ratty looking chick with blue eyeshadow?" But I totally agree - if you can rock it then wear it!

    ReplyDelete