Monday, January 19, 2009

Welcome to the Pretty Analyst!

When I tell people that I work for a beauty retailer - this is what they think of: 
Which means when I have to explain to them I'm actually a Finance Analyst, it's kind of a downer. My job looks much more like this: 
Except my computer is usually on, my cube is grey, and in general my building is darker than this one appears to be. But I am blond, so there's that. Don't get me wrong - I love my job. I think Excel is AMAZING, and I love playing with numbers. It's just not as glamorous as being a makeup artist. 
Despite the fact that I'm (clearly) an Excel geek, ever since I started working in the beauty industry, I've noticed that everyone from my friends to random people on BART have started asking me for advice on products. What eye cream is good for preventing wrinkles? What brush should I use for mineral foundation? If I have oily skin, which moisturizer would you suggest? 
After a few months of trying to explain the difference illustrated above, I gave up and just started trying to answer their questions. I'd go online and read product reviews. I'd ask coworkers on the product side for their thoughts. And most of all, I'd check out any and all samples I could get my hands on through my job, and then tell my friends all about them. I've been doing this off-line for my friends for a while now and recently I started thinking - why not do it online for more people? 
There are plenty of beauty blogs out there for people who *love* make up - about new trends and flashy products - but what about for us Finance Analysts who like make up but find it perplexing sometimes? I want to stay on top of the trends, but my boss wouldn't be thrilled to have me show up to work with neon eyeshadow, even if it is a beauty retailer's corporate office. And it's great to hear that there's a brand new $95 anti-aging cream, but with my limited clothing-shoe-makeup-combined budget each month, is it REALLY worth it? 
So at the very least I'll be blogging for the same friends I've been talking to about all this stuff - TJ: I'm glad you love the Sephora eye palette, Ash: let me know how the eye cream works out - and hopefully a few other people will find my advice helpful as well! 
Welcome to The Pretty Analyst!

No comments:

Post a Comment