Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Beauty Philosophy

Long before I even thought about starting a beauty blog, I was looking around the web, just trying to find one to read. There are some good ones out there (links to come!) but they seemed to fall into one of two categories: 

The Beauty-ista: These blogs are written by the beauty-obsessed for the the beauty-obsessed. Every new product is reviewed, every celebrity makeup artist referenced or interviewed. Features include: trend alerts, links to shopping sites, name dropping. 

Moms-on-a-beauty-budget: These blogs are all about beauty steals, deals and gifts-with-purchase. Usually written by mother-daughter teams or mother-mother pairs, these blogs are all about how to get runway results on shoestring budgets. 
What's wrong with what's out there? Nothing . . . but what about the rest of us? I'm willing to pay for value - if I can only find it. I'd love to try the newest trend - but I need step-by-step instructions (preferably with pictures). So with no further ado, I'd like to introduce you to The Pretty Analyst's Beauty Philosophy. This is what the blog is all about! The Pretty Analyst believes that beauty should  . . . 

1. Bring out the best in you
I believe makeup should be natural - almost to a fault. I was 20 before I worked up the courage to wear my first truly RED lipstick. We've all seen women and girls who let their makeup wear them - and it's such a shame because so much of beauty is owning what we've already got, highlighting our favorite parts and downplaying the parts we like a little bit less. I love products that make my green eyes greener, my pale skin brighter and my thin hair smoother. In my book, it's better to enhance than to hide.  

2. Never be one-size-fits-all
I guarantee you that if you ask a handful of your closest girlfriends, half of them will love their gloss sticky and the other half matte. Half will complain about foundation that doesn't cover enough, the other half will complain about foundation that doesn't breathe enough. Some parts of beauty are universal - I will always swear by moisturizer, no matter who you are. But most parts are surprisingly personal - even beyond skin tone or eye color. Beauty has a style of it's own, and when I review products it will always be something like, "If you like your blush subtle, you'll love Stila but if you like it to last, you've got to try DuWop". 

3. Be worth it

I hate spending $50 on a product that I'm not satisfied with. I also hate spending $5 on a product that I'm not satisfied with. There's plenty of marketing out there, but my favorite products have always been discovered through recommendations of friends. I've made countless friends and family try my Clarisonic Skincare Wand - every single one has bought it, despite the $195 price tag. In beauty, I believe it's all about value. You can buy 10 shades of drugstore shadow that will last you a month for $40 or you can buy a LORAC palette that will last you a year - either way you'd better love it! My hope is that this blog will help you learn what's a good value for you - so you can enjoy more beauty for your buck!

4. Be fun

Beauty can be intimidating. We're inundated with information about new products and new looks - but it took me two years and a tutorial with my wedding makeup consultant to figure out how to do a smokey eye. But she taught me that beauty - above all- should be fun! She handed me a makeup sponge with a bit of liquid foundation dabbed on it and showed me how it could remove the smokiest of eyeshadow from places you didn't want it. And with that little eraser I learned how to play with my makeup. Now I try to play around with looks and get creative with my colors - if I don't like it, I just take it off - or just blend in some more color! Playing with makeup doesn't have to be exclusive to makeup artists or bold young-and-singles . . . it should be for all of us, be it a weekday morning or a big night out. 
If this resonates with you - keep coming back! If not, send me your thoughts - I want to hear them too. Either way, thanks for coming by and hope to see you back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment