Thursday, January 22, 2009

Raves & Reviews: Eyeliners

Eyeliner is the most intimidating makeup item in my bag. I started using it regularly in college and ever since I've been struggling to find the perfect fit for my style. I'm still not very good at applying it (getting better) so the way it goes on and how thick the tip is are the first things I look for. I've come across some samples lately so let me tell you about what I've been trying lately: 

Tarte EmphasEYES High Def Eye Pencil (Sephora, $18): 
My favorite these days - goes on very precisely, probably because of the fine tip and relatively hard consistency. If an eyeliner is too creamy or thick I end up getting it all over the place, so this makes it easy for me to apply with broad strokes right above my lash line, moving outward. The green is great daytime alternative that is subtle while still providing definition. 

Rock & Republic Bound Gel Eyeliner (Neiman Marcus, $24): 
I think I'm going to love cream eyeliners. Having to use a brush actually makes it much easier for me to apply, while still getting the rich and defined look of a less chalky liner. R&R has some fun colors, but it seemed a little dried out when I put it on. 
Despite the dryness, I threw some of this on with my regular makeup this morning and was pleasantly surprised by how much of an impact it had without being too . . . "va va voom". It made my eyes really stand out without standing out itself. 

Sephora Brand Slim Eyeliner Pencil (Sephora, $5): 
I have this in navy and am surprised by how great this eyeliner is for how little it costs. Perfect option if you want to check out different color liners for fun before committing to a more expensive brand. As long as you keep it sharp, it's easy to apply too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment