Friday, March 20, 2009

Soul . . . Dove's "Onslaught" Video

My friend who just had a baby girl sent me this video that made her think about how she can raise a daughter that feels beautiful , even when the beauty industry or mainstream media can make us feel so ugly at times: 



Since I don't have any kids, this video made me think of me and my friends. For many of us, no matter how much our parents/schools/clubs talked to us about body image and self esteem, there were times in our lives when we felt ugly compared to all the images of "perfection" that we see in television and magazines. We grew up with an onslaught, certainly, though I felt it more at some times (i.e. MIDDLE SCHOOL) than others. 

So as a mother one day or a friend now, I want to be a voice against the onslaught, reminding the people in my life of what makes them beautiful - not in a generic "love yourself!" kind of a way, but by pointing out the unique, beautiful things about them that I love. 

1 comment:

  1. I liked this video too! My bro said they watched it in his bus school class and analyzed how they are marketing right now. It's ironic because Dove also owns the "Axe" brand that promotes another type of body image. So, is it in conflict? Do they really mean what they say/what they are producing?

    Just thinking about it from another side.

    ReplyDelete